Do you remember this post? Well, in response to all your wonderful comments, Felix and I have launched WOVEMBER — a grass-roots, month-long celebration of all things woollen and woolly. Please pop over and have a look at the website, sign the petition, and join us, in whatever way you like, in the shared appreciation of 100% wool. Plus, there is a competition! With 100% woolly prizes!
To quote from our statement of purpose on the WOVEMBER website:
WOVEMBER is about:
* recognising that WOOL is a premium textile which comes from an actual sheep, and that – as such – the terms WOOL, WOOLLY and WOOLLEN should only be applied to real WOOL and not, for instance, to polyester or viscose.
* celebrating the important heritage and contemporary value of WOOL through our 100% WOOL stories, blog posts, pictures, textiles, and garments.
* educating and informing the wider public of the wondrous qualities of WOOL.
* creatively pushing the idea that the word WOOL should refer to sheep’s WOOL only.
* reconnecting the idea of WOOL to the animals and people involved in its creation and manufacture.
* campaigning for a clarification of trading standards to prevent further misuse of the term WOOL.
To involve yourself with WOVEMBER, you can:
* endeavour to wear as MUCH WOOL AS POSSIBLE throughout the month of WOVEMBER, and tell everyone about the unique qualities of WOOL.
* sign the WOVEMBER PETITION to support changes to textile trading standards and product descriptions.
* Talk about what wool means to you throughout WOVEMBER on your blogs, sites, facebook pages, twitter feeds, and other social media.
* Publicise WOVEMBER by sharing our button (below) and linking to the WOVEMBER website.
* send us WOVEMBER stories about sheep, wool, knitting, weaving or other endeavours which celebrate WOOL in all its sheepy glory!
* Enter the WOVEMBER COMPETITION by sending us a 100% wool photograph for the WOVEMBER gallery. (Sponsored by Jamieson & Smith – 100% WOOL prizes on offer!)
* Have fun.